Monday, November 28, 2011

Horse Show @ Clay County Fairgrounds


Psalm 20:7-8 -"Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the name of the LORD our God."
~~^~~

Recently I was blessed by being able to go to and participate in a horse show at the Clay County fairgrounds in Green Cove Springs, Florida.  I was #299, which was a significant number to me!  :D I rode Onyx, the beautiful paint mare from Eagle's Rest.

I was able to do two activities- Toilet Paper Pairs and Ride 'a' Buck.
 
"Toilet Paper Pairs" is riding a horse western style (which means the reins are controlled with one hand instead of two) while holding onto one end of a strip of toilet paper that is (in this case) 8 squares long that another rider on a different horse is holding on to too.  The judge tells the pairs to do various things such as walking, trotting, and reversing the horses (for the more advanced riders he tells them to canter, lope, etc.).  I had a lot of fun participating in it, and my partner and I both got 4th place ribbons! :D
 
"Ride 'a' Buck" is riding a horse western style, bareback, sitting on a dollar bill and making sure it won't fall out/off, all at the same time.  If it does fall out/off, the person and horse are eliminated, and they go to the center of the ring and wait there until it's all over, as they do in Toilet Paper Pairs.  I received a 5th place ribbon for Ride 'a' Buck! :D

I had a great time, met some people I hadn't met before, received some good tips for riding, and had a great time riding (as well as cleaning tack before, and brushing down the horse, etc.).  :D
 
I was also blessed and thankful to have my family come out to see me and Onyx :D, and to be with friends that I knew and trusted! :D

I'd like to be in another horse show, Lordwilling.  This show was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot! :D

In Christ,

Nehemiah Cook


Photo courtesy of My Mother.  Thank you, Mama! :D

3 comments: