Friday, June 17, 2011

The Story of William: Part 5


CHAPTER 5
             
             Stephen, as William had learned to call the cook, had one of his head chefs take over the kitchen until he returned.  He led William to the passageway where the king had already finished his exquisite supper.  William thought that the king was magnificent.  The king was talking with the lords and ladies in the great hall.  The king was wearing beautiful clothing that to William looked very comfortable.  He wore a light crown of solid gold on his head, with tiny, expensive diamonds throughout. 
            “Ross, my good sir,” The cook asked an armored man in the passageway, “Will you tell the king that he has a young Servant in his presence with a very important message?”  “Yes, Stephen.  And right away.” the man replied. 
            Soon William and Stephen were in the king’s private room.  “It is better that we are in a private room, then in the hall. 
            The door to the room opened, and a messenger said “His majesty, the king.”  Stephen bowed fully, but William nodded his head slightly.  “Stephen,” the king said, “This young servant is to stay with me alone.” he paused shortly “I will reward you for what you have done for me.  Now go.”  Stephen nodded, smiled, and went back to the kitchen.
             “So,” the king said, “You are a servant, and you have an important message for me, correct?”  William nodded.  “You are also a follower of the ‘One True King’ too, are you not?” the king asked.  “Yes, sir, but how do you know?”
            The king smiled.  “Your manners are enough that anyone should now. You did not bow to me, but slightly, and the followers of the King will only bow to the King, as you have showed me.”
            The king looked at William intently and said, “I am also a follower of the King, and I do not make my servants to bow to me.  When they bow, they do it out of their own will.”  He leaned forward and asked, “What is your message?”

No comments:

Post a Comment